Saturday 16 July 2016

I Hate Nudity In Music Videos— Ayobami

Ayobami-2-300x300
Akande Ayobami, aka ‘Ayobami’, is a recording artiste and real estate consultant. The graduate of Science Laboratory Technology, Ondo State Polytechnic does a fusion of hip-hop, reggae and dance-hall music. The native of Ondo State presently has two singles. One is being promoted while the other is set to be released very soon. In this interview with Star Tracker, the handsome singer bares his mind on his career challenges, love for music, personal principles, and the very underbelly of the Nigerian music industry.

How did your music journey begin?
I started music when I was in secondary school. I started with dancing. Immediately I left secondary school, I went to the studio to record a song with one of my friends in 2001.
Why did you opt for music?
Music is something I have passion for. It’s something I do effortlessly without stressing myself. Music gives me the platform to pass across my message to people. Whenever I am sad, music lifts my spirit. I do hip-hop, R & B with a fusion of dancehall. 2face inspires me a lot. I like his simplicity and talent. I see him as a mentor. I have met him just once but I wasn’t able to talk to him.
How do you intend to break into the Nigerian music industry?
I have my own style of music and with that, I think people will differentiate me from others Are you scared of the many talented artistes in the industry? I am not scared at all. Music isn’t something I am forcing myself to do, it’s an inbuilt talent. I can use what you are putting on to do freestyle right now. It comes naturally to me, that is why I am not bothered about anybody.
Why did you choose Ayobami as your stage name?
I decided to use my real name because of the depth of the meaning. When I call myself Ayobami, it gives me the courage to move on. Would you allow a video vixen touch your private part in a music video? I won’t allow that. My kind of music is meant to affect people positively. Doing such isn’t good for my brand.
Can your kind of music find a place in the Nigerian music industry?
Yes I think my kind of music will go far in the Nigerian market. It’s not that I have a godfather somewhere, I just believe in my abilities. I know if I keep pushing, I will get there one day.
What are your challenges as an upcoming artiste?
The road hasn’t been smooth. I started doing music in 2001 and this is 2016 and I am still not known. How do you raise funds for your music? Before now I was with Modela, I worked with him from 2003-2006. He used to be my manager and he was responsible for my financial matters. In 2007, a record label from London took the financial burden off me. But For now, I am the one paying the bills.
What is the greatest price you have paid for your music career?
There was a time I used my school fees in producing a song. It was about N100,000 When that happened, how were you able to later raise the money for your school fees? I got the money from my girlfriend then. Are you still dating her? No. Why? It’s a family issue. I was supposed to be married to her but we had some family issues that stopped us from getting married. How do you relate with your female fans? I just relate with them like friends and that is where it ends. I can’t start sleeping around because I’m a musician, it will still affect my career. I don’t let it go beyond the greetings.
What does sex mean to you?
Sex is spiritual. What is your opinion about sexual content in Nigerian music videos? Those are the things I don’t really like. There is a way love can be portrayed in a music video without showing a lady’s sensitive body parts or going naked. Even if an artiste sings a dance track these days, you will still see naked ladies being paraded in the music video. I don’t like that. When your music video has a good concept your video will still sell.

Would you accept if you are asked to change your style of music to commercial music?
I won’t accept, because I’ll be doing something that is not coming from my mind. It’s not all about money. I think your principles and what you want people to know about you goes a long way. How you want people to see you is important. It’s not only when you display explicit content that you succeed as an artiste. Adekunle Gold isn’t doing that and he is succeeding. I am not holy; I just want to affect people positively with my music. I sing songs that can affect your life and make you a better person. Are you saying the crop of music being churned out these days is not having positive impact? We all know that there are some songs that you don’t want your kids to listen to.
Do you like Olamide? I like Olamide, he is talented.
Some of his songs were recently banned because of the explicit lyrics. What do you have to say about that?
I like Olamide because he is a talented artiste. I am not talking about his lyrics. He is good at what he does. He might be singing about things I might not like, but I just like the fact that he is good.
Your song Agba awo, what does it really mean?
It means the Supreme Being. The song is simply about God. It’s also a way to connect to the streets.
That was how I came about Agba awo What is that one thing you cannot do for fame and stardom?
I was raised to believe in the power of prayer and I know that God will answer me at the right time. So I cannot do any extreme thing because of fame.

No comments: