Thursday 15 December 2016

We Must Collectively Hold Arik Air Accountable, By Joe Igbokwe


I am calling on everyone who has suffered from Arik Air’s sense of impunity, its inefficiency, and gross incompetence, to speak up now. We must collectively stop this situation.
I got information that my leader, mentor and the servant Leader, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu was returning to Nigeria yesterday after weeks of vacation and business abroad. I was to be at the Nnamdi Azikwe international Airport, Abuja betweem 8 p.m. and 8:30 p.m. to welcome and honour the servant leader. Around 9 a.m., I sent one of my kids to the Lagos Airport to get me a flight ticket. He got the ticket and I was billed
to check in by 2 p.m. as it was a 3 p.m. flight. I got to the Airport exactly by 2 p.m. and was there till about 10 p.m. when someone who recognised helped get a boarding pass. During my eight hour ordeal, I saw Arik Air’s unfortunate service firsthand. After collecting money, they abandon their passengers without shame. The management speaks to no one. They cancel flights without care. They have no system, no organisation and no sympathy. This is the story of a company that does not know how to manage success.
Arik Air controls almost 70 percent of the domestic airline business in Nigeria.
Arik Air has the highest number of aircrafts in Nigeria.
Arik Air knows how to collect money from passengers but does not know how to deliver efficient services.
Arik Air has no skills for managing its success.
Arik Air shows no remorse for its human rights abuses and abuse of office.
Arik Air thrives on impunity and gross inefficiency.
I can go on and on.
Now what do we do with Arik Air?
The Ministry of Transport and Aviation should investigate Arik Air. I understand that many petitions have been written about the avaition company and its less than desireable performance but the Federal Government has refused to pay attention. It is alleged that Arik Air cannot pay the debt it is owing aviation fuel suppliers; that Arik Air’s welfare of workers is nothing to write home about; that Arik Air’s workers are being owed months of salaries. And, many of the workers have been said ti have resigned and walked away. Arik Air seems to celebrate impunity as if enjoying immunity from the Federal Government. Given what I saw of Arik Air management yesterday, I think that time has come for the government to apply the big stick. This shame must not be tolerated any longer; something needs to give way.
I am calling on everyone who has suffered from Arik Air’s sense of impunity, its inefficiency, and gross incompetence, to speak up now. We must collectively stop this situation. Please share your experiences with Arik Air and let the world know. Arik Air must perform or stop operating; and the time is now.
Joe igbokwe writes from Lagos.
PremiumTimes

No comments: